Monday, August 8, 2011

Light Painting

     I've seen light paintings before, but never did I make an effort of making my own. My sleep schedule has been skewed for a couple of days. Countless hours were wasted watching YouTube videos. Some of my favorite channels include those created by Freddie Wong, Philip DeFranco, MysteryGuitarMan, NicePeter, Wong Fu Productions, KevJumba, Kina Grannis, Julia Nunes, etc. The list is endless. I usually find most of my music on YouTube as well.

     Anyway, let me get back to light painting. Freddie Wong's channel showcased a short movie titled "Light Warfare". The video is attached to this entry.

     I watched the "behind the scenes" video on his second channel. Wong described utilizing light painting. My curiosity got the better of me. Thus, I began researching the inner workings of light painting. It is a fairly simple concept. Although, I must admit that it took me forever to figure out how to actually do the painting without a DSLR camera. My dog probably thought I was crazy when I walked into the bathroom, closed the door, didn't turn on the light, and waved a beam of light around.

     I've only just started this project. Light painting brings a certain amount of excitement for me. The contrast of the light against the dark is enough for me to see the shapes/art that I've created. Perhaps it sounds naive, but I feel like I can express myself finally. Light paintings can be very detailed or simple lines. All of it is beautiful to me. When attempting anything related to art, I've been obsessed with perfection. Maybe paper is intimidating? I know that if I mess up with light, it won't linger to remind me of what I didn't mean to do.

     Alan Rickman, an actor well known for playing characters such as Severus Snape in the Harry Potter series and Judge Turpin in Sweeney Todd, is a light painter. Interesting, isn't it?

     Someday I'll share my paintings on this blog. Practice and patience...*big breath*

No comments:

Post a Comment