Thursday, September 1, 2011

Burn, Baby, Burn

     I began the school year by changing my major to communications. (Reminder to self: change blog bio) This change occurred because I realized that I would rather work with adults, not children, and go deeper into my passion for advocacy. Classes have been finalized as of Tuesday. School started a week ago. It's been a struggle to manipulate my schedule, but I am much happier with my decision. After obtaining my BA, I will enter into the grad program for Rehabilitation teaching for blind and visually impaired adults.

     Last week, I injured myself and ended up going to the ER twice. The microwave in my unit is located high above my head. Soup should not be a meal that I should prepare to spill all over myself. Unfortunately, America's staple "feel better soon" soup, chicken noodle, landed on my neck, chest, a bit on my stomach and right forearm. Thank you crappy depth perception and precariously situated microwave. Anyway, I had to strip my shirt in my kitchen. Then my friend rushed me to the ER. I ended up with 2md degree burns. Recovery time is 1 - 2 years or so I was told by the doctor. The blisters finally popped over the weekend and the burns resemble sunburns. I no longer resemble well done steak. I want to scratch my skin off, but will refrain. 

     JDog was amazing during this entire ordeal. He wasn't able to work for a week and a half due to my injuries. Words cannot express how sorry I am. One incident in particular stuck out from last week. My father took JDog out for the last time before bed. I was resting on the couch. Upon coming in, JDog immediately came to my side, laid down on the floor, rested his chin on my arm, looked up at me, and sighed as if to say, "It'll all be alright. I will take care of you." He is an incredible nurse. I don't know what I would do without him.

      So, you're wondering what classes I'm taking, right? Well, I'm going to list them anyway.
  • Introduction to Students who are Blind & Visually Impaired 
  • Anatomy, Pathology, & Functionality of the Eye
  • Introduction to Orgnizational/Corporate Communication Theory
  • Critical Interpretation of Film/Television 
     There you have it. I have two communications courses and two vision courses. I'm hoping this semester is simple and not overly taxing, but school is never like that. Hopefully, complications with the burns don't ruin my semester. I want to be done soon. Full course load brings a lot of work. I am also still completing the abacus course I had enrolled in last May.

     I need to update more. I've just been so drained because of the accident. JDog and I send hugs and eyebrow dances. Tschüß!

No comments:

Post a Comment