Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Confident Strides

     I don't believe I wrote an entire entry about JDog before. Well, I can't inflate his head any bigger. He's more than just a dog. We've all heard that dogs are a man's best friend. It's true. Dogs are so intuitive and love unconditionally. Because of this, they work splendidly as service animals.

     A guide dog prevents their handler from running into obstacles and act as their eyes. Contrary to popular belief, these dogs are not restricted to individuals who are totally blind. In order to be eligible to work with a guide dog, one must have an acuity of 20/200 or more. If you would like information about guide dogs, please feel free to leave a comment. Trust me, I will get back to you.
    
     Let me move on to my amazing experience during the wee hours of Monday morning. Irony is at it's best considering how late it is right now. The incredible work of my dog deserves to be shared with the world. This is a great place to start.

     Roughly about 35 hours ago, we arrived at the train station in my hometown. I had spent the day in Chicago for the Annual Chicago Jazz Festival. During the train ride, I had tried to contact friends in the area to see if I can hitch a ride home. No such luck. I was totally OK with this. The only option was to walk. Fortunately for me, my parents' house was a mile away.

     JDog and I hadn't done a night walk in a very long time. To my surprise, we flew home. Each step was measured and confident. Usually, it takes us 15 - 20 minutes to get home. It took us 12 minutes. There were points during the walk when I couldn't see at all. It was dark and a part of me was nervous. I couldn't let these feelings go noticed by JDog. It's best to be confident when you are handling a dog. Staying calm also gives an extra boost to a working team. He knew the route all the way to the house. Needless to say, I was impressed.



     The above experience is what defines a team. Communication between the handler and their dog ensures the perfect match. I couldn't be more thankful for my dog. He never ceases to surprise me with his intelligence and ability to problem solve. I didn't trip at all and there was no hesitation. With JDog by my side, I can only walk forward with confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment